daasgrrl: mycroft and sherlock (Default)
[personal profile] daasgrrl

Title: Missing scene - House vs God
By: [personal profile] daasgrrl
Rating: PG for language
Pairing: House/Wilson implied
Disclaimer: Not David Shore
Summary: Boyd makes a detour to Wilson's office
Notes: Just a little snippet that wouldn't go away after the episode last night.


There was a tap at the door, and Wilson looked up from his papers.

“Doctor Wilson?”

“Boyd.”

Wilson managed a small smile in greeting, and his voice was carefully neutral. It was pointless to continue being annoyed - Boyd was still just a kid, after all, and had been hallucinating into the bargain, but the stunt he had pulled on Grace still rankled. Wilson stood up, and gestured him to his office couch, but Boyd remained standing, his sweater clasped in front of him, smiling his gentle smile.

“They’re letting me go now. I just thought I’d come and say goodbye. How’s Grace?”

“She’s… doing well, for now. She’s going to take the trip to Italy. I’m sure she talked to you about that.”

“Yes. Well, if I don’t hear from her…”

“I’ll tell her you said goodbye.”

Boyd nodded, and put one hand on the door, but turned back at the last moment. His voice was earnest, almost pleading.

“Doctor Wilson, do you believe what happened was a small miracle, or just a giant coincidence? That I should get sick with exactly the right type of virus, come here, and of all the patients in the hospital, I found her, and touched her?”

It was a question Wilson had been unable to avoid asking himself after recent events, but had gotten nowhere with. Boyd’s steady gaze forced him to honesty.

“I… don’t really know. I think… sometimes, some things, there’s not a lot of difference. Miracle, coincidence. Whatever you want to call it. Either way, a dying woman gets to see Florence.”

Boyd smiled at that. “I bet Doctor House wouldn’t see it that way.”

“Doctor House… finds it impossible to believe that anything could potentially be out of his comprehension or his control. He thinks if there is a God, he’s the closest thing to it.”

They shared a brief look of amused understanding, and then Boyd shifted a little, looking uncomfortable.

“Grace told me about you. And her.”

“Yeah, I figured…”

“And how you felt about the poker game.”

“That was a mistake. In more ways than one.” Wilson grimaced at the memory of the evening. “If you hadn’t said that to House…”

“And you know, that’s all Doctor House wants to see. He thinks I just look at people, talk to them, and figure out stuff based on what I see and hear. That doesn’t necessarily mean God doesn’t talk to me. Maybe I see things, hear things, and He tells me what they mean. Just because something is possible, doesn’t mean that it’s the only explanation. I wish he could understand that.”

“Yes, well, good luck with convincing him.” Wilson smiled a little, but sobered instantly at Boyd’s next words.

“You know that you’re not meant to be with her.”

“I’m sorry, but that’s really… none of your business.”

“You’re meant to be with him. You love him. Running from it won’t solve any of your problems.”

Boyd’s gaze was intense, hypnotizing. There was no need for him to explain. Wilson knew exactly who and what he meant, and the knowledge chilled him, even as he struggled to remain calm and rational.

“Really. And did you come up with this interesting - theory - through observation, or did God tell you?”

“Does it matter?” Boyd’s voice was insufferably gentle. “It‘s true.”

“You have no idea about…”

“Yes, I do. You won’t go back to him, because you’re scared. Scared that it might be everything you’ve ever wanted, scared that it won’t be. You won’t risk it. You’d rather go on living the way you understand, the way that’s safe. But it’s a mistake. If you just had some faith… in him, in yourself… you would both be more at peace.”

Wilson could only stand and stare at him, numbly. Surely Boyd wouldn’t… he wouldn’t…

“And are you going to… what are you going to say to him?”

“Nothing. Because he won’t believe me, no matter what I say. He only believes in luck, in chance, in coincidences. In human nature. But that’s OK. He is just… the way God intended him to be. But you… you hide from yourself. From Him.”

The conviction in his eyes was terrifying. Wilson found himself at a complete loss for words, but Boyd merely accepted his silence with a shrug and turned away.

“I know, I know, it’s none of my business. I’m sorry. Bye, Doctor Wilson. Tell Grace to remember that God is with her. Always. And with you, even if you don’t believe.”

When Wilson finally gathered himself enough to think about it, the conclusion was inescapable, of course. He knew enough about the Bible to know that same-sex relationships didn’t exactly make the “approved” list, and therefore the message must have been from Boyd, and Boyd alone, for whatever unfathomable reason might have possessed him at the time. And as much as he might want to believe, there was no way on earth he was going to risk his existing friendship with House, fucked up as it was, over the ravings of a 15-year-old, no matter how much of a divine connection he might claim. He could wish for things to be different as much as he wanted, but when it came down to it, miracles were for other people, and not for him.

Wilson sat at his desk and stared at his paperwork for the short remainder of the afternoon, but could make no sense of it at all.

Date: 2006-04-27 03:23 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] magegirl8.livejournal.com
No Wilson! I don't care what the bible says, GOD approves of same sex relationships. *nod nod* If you go by what the bible says, you'd be sleeping with Cuddy, not working under her. ^_^ if you listen to your heart, you could be with House! or sleeping with Cuddy while working under her. ooooh, kinky!

Date: 2006-04-28 01:28 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Exactly - Wilson's just trying to get out of it. Sigh. Thanks for your comments - I'm glad you liked Boyd too :)

Date: 2006-11-19 01:11 am (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
Yep, it was really Adam and Steve. :^)

Date: 2006-04-27 03:26 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] magegirl8.livejournal.com
BTW -I think you wrote Boyd really well. good job!

Date: 2006-04-27 03:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sy-dedalus.livejournal.com
Nice! I like the weight you've added to Wilson's comment to House (just as God made him), having it come from Boyd here. It explains Wilson's contemplative look between the "House, you're" and the "just as God made you" at the end. Cheers!

As much as I like stand-alones, I'd like to see this go further. And I'm glad you did a scene fill. I'm dying to start something based on this ep but too inundated with work right now. Next week, though.... ;)

Date: 2006-04-28 01:31 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
I'm pleased you noticed - I was working from both that comment, and the interesting way Boyd wishes House 'good luck' when it seems that's not something he should really believe in. Thanks!

Pesky work, gets in the way of fanfic :)

Date: 2006-04-27 03:49 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] extrabitter.livejournal.com
Good episode-based stories always seem to make me happy. With Wilson's very last line, I felt like he was telling House that he loved him in a cryptic way. That line reads as sad and distant in print, but the way RSL delivered it was pure gold.

Nice way to build on it. I like this one very much.

Date: 2006-04-28 01:34 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
I have to admit the episode upset me quite a lot in all sorts of odd ways. I thought RSL and HL were both amazing in it though. I'm very pleased that you liked the fic - thank you :)

Date: 2006-04-27 05:26 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] evila-elf.livejournal.com
"...He thinks if there is a God, he’s the closest thing to it."
Wilson's God :P

This is definately a deleted scene in my mind, now :D Going to have to automatically fill it in when I see the episode again!!

Any chance for a sequel where Wilson thinks about Boyd's words, then, later, comes to a decision from them? *pokes*

Date: 2006-04-28 01:34 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Ow! Quit it! :) I suck at writing things I 'should' write, but I do appreciate the prodding. Thanks :)

Fic: Missing Scene

Date: 2006-04-27 10:43 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rosewillread.livejournal.com
Excellent.
Well done with Boyd, and the overall discussion on faith. And Wilson on House.
Wilson fears that if worked between him and House, it would end the way all his relationships end.
The best fic of the "you shouldn't be with them, you're in love with someone else" type I've read, I think. I usually find them a bit meh, but I have a tolerance for Boyd.
“Does it matter?” Boyd’s voice was insufferably gentle. “It‘s true.”
Insufferably, yes.

Re: Fic: Missing Scene

Date: 2006-04-28 01:40 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
I do have a 'thing' about the general plotline - which has been done all over of course - about whether some mysterious happenings within the story are explicable or "real". I admit I haven't seen much of the type of fic you mention, but I'm glad you liked it anyway. I like to believe that Boyd knows what he's talking about :) Your reviews are so thoughtful - thanks!

Date: 2006-04-27 02:25 pm (UTC)
marginaliana: Buddy the dog carries Bobo the toy (House batman)
From: [personal profile] marginaliana
Excellently done. This makes sense of a lot of what we get at the end of the episode (and it makes my heart not so unhappy about that ending)... It works perfectly as a missing scene, but I, too, would love to see you take this further if you felt so inclined. Nice work.

Date: 2006-04-28 01:43 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Thank you - I really appreciate your comment, and your encouragement as well. I'm still getting over House all but inviting him to move back and Wilson turning him down. I'm not sure I wanted it anyway, but it made me sniffle :)

Date: 2006-04-27 02:50 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chi1013.livejournal.com
I'm thirding this... fourthing this? It would be awesome if you developed this some more. Got any plans to do so? I agree with [livejournal.com profile] evila_elf, this is now a missing scene for me and I'm gonna insert it whenever I watch the ep. Wonderful job!

Date: 2006-04-28 01:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
I don't have anything at the moment, but it might end up working its way in somewhere else :) Thanks very much, and I'm pleased you liked it!

Date: 2006-04-27 04:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] genagirl.livejournal.com
All I can add is - "Yeah!!!"

Date: 2006-04-28 01:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Thank you :)

Date: 2006-04-27 06:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] bloodanna.livejournal.com
This is perfect.
I wish this had been in the episode, it fits in so wonderfully and not only is everyone in character, but they're not annoying!
Brilliantly done.

Date: 2006-04-28 01:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Hee - aw, how could Wilson ever be annoying :) Thanks so much for your comment.

Date: 2006-04-27 07:00 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] longstrt.livejournal.com
Tragically I think that's exactly what much of society would have written for this "missing scene". Same sex relationships are such an anathema that zealotry is the name of the game. I think that's what David Shore would write if he even dared to risk the possibility of a relationship between House and Wilson. It's a good thing we have slash fanfic so we can set the world to right. Thanks for writing this.

Date: 2006-04-28 01:49 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
a good thing we have slash fanfic so we can set the world to right.

Seconded. And thanks :)

Date: 2006-04-27 09:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] karaokegal.livejournal.com
Really well done. True to the feeling of the episode.

Date: 2006-04-28 01:50 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Thanks very much *hugs your gorgeous icon* :)

Date: 2006-04-28 05:10 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] topaz-eyes.livejournal.com
I love "missing scene" fics, and this one is right on the money for Boyd's assessment of Wilson. Sweet and thoughtful. I like Boyd in this.

Date: 2006-04-28 08:36 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it - I'm not in the habit of writing missing scenes, but I couldn't get over the ep. I don't know, I was quite fond of Boyd, but I seem to be a little lonely in that regard :)

Date: 2006-04-29 02:55 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] little-aphid.livejournal.com
Love this. Exactly what I was thinking when Boyd told House that he should invite Wilson to his poker game. Hmm, so what are you telling Wilson? Plus, now we know that God is a slasher.

Perfect scene. *memorifies*

Date: 2006-04-29 03:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Plus, now we know that God is a slasher

Hee - exactly. Thanks so much for your comments, and I'm very pleased to be memoried :)

Date: 2006-04-30 04:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] montycrowley.livejournal.com
Oh, how gratifying it was to discover that God is a slasher.

"Tell him, Boyd," I snarled imploringly at the TV. "Tell him God wants him to invite Dr. Wilson over for poker and hottsex. Do it now. Boyd! Boyd, are you listening -- BOYD! Boyd, this is God. Tell Dr. House to.... to, yes, build an ark... and repeople the earth with Wilson. BOYD!"

Thanks for keeping the canon continuity of Jewish!Wilson (which I find oh-so-cute for some reason) and the utter affable gratingness of Boyd intact.

Date: 2006-04-30 05:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Tell Dr. House to.... to, yes, build an ark... and repeople the earth with Wilson. BOYD!"

*wipes away tears of laughter* Why, oh WHY wasn't he channelling you??? I would pay to see that!

Thanks for commenting - and I like Jewish!Wilson too :)

Date: 2006-10-19 11:56 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rivers-bend.livejournal.com
i'm sorry I keep pestering you with fic comments on really old fics. It's just, I love them. and I can't love a fic and not comment. You don't have to answer though :D

I love in episode fics. I love writing them and reading them and that they exist. and you gave that painful, almost can't watch it but can't not watch it either, House, you are... as god made you line have so much more meaning. For which I love you.

Date: 2006-10-20 03:28 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] daasgrrl.livejournal.com
Oh, who doesn't love comments? *g* I treasure all of them, I just feel very lame with not much to say than 'thank you'. And you know I've enjoyed your lovely H/W fics so I'm very pleased you're reading! I still love H vs. G - I think it's my favourite ep.

Profile

daasgrrl: mycroft and sherlock (Default)
daasgrrl

May 2025

S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 11th, 2026 06:40 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios